Friday, May 04, 2007


So, recent reports reveal that Keira Knightley has decided to give up acting. Personally, I am not sure she ever began. But hey, who am I to questions good news.

I have nothing against her personally, except the fact that she seems a little self-inflated (ego wise, I could hardly be talking about anything else in her case) and the fact that she seems to have achieved her movie roles purely on the premise that she is skinny and vaguely attractive. That's Hollywood I guess.

A friend of mine saw her in some dire period piece and reported that she was so wooden on screen that it was like watching an ironing board in a frock. So basically she is flat as a pancake and stands in the corner and is hardly used. Bah.

It annoys me that there are so many talented actors in our country and the only ones that seem to get work abroad are the dull, skinny pretty ones and the truly talented ones have to wait until middle age whereupon they will get a slew of 'character' roles and then inevitably play some royal in an oscar grabbing portrayal. Don't get me wrong I ADORE La Dench and Dame Helen, but even they get pigeon-holed so much of the time and rarely REALLY get to use their formidable acting skills unless it is on stage (and anyone who has seen them treading the boards will know what I mean).

I know it is almost anathema for me to say it, but are some things more important that having a fabulous Oscar dress and wearing it well. Oh man, that sentence actually hurt to type. Am I a bad gay man to want some talent to go along with my glamour? Is that SO wrong?

Of course I couldn't give a fig about the men as long as they are pretty and spend a good deal of the film shirtless. This is why I may be one of the few people on the planet that is looking forward to Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Sure, the trailers look good, but I can't quite wash the stink of the first film from my brain yet. What it DOES have going for it is the hope that Chris Evans (Below) will spend a good portion of the film burning his clothes off again.

Marry me Christopher. sigh

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Clint. You are so wise. So it it true about Kiera Shitely? Really?